The Old College Try: Bunraku

So, when I'm feeling really nerdy, I love seeing what types of movies are coming out, months ahead of schedule. Doesn't matter the genre, I just like to be in the know.

Now, as soon as I saw the poster for Bunraku, quite a few things flashed through my mind. "What the hell is this? "Where has Josh Hartnett been?" Both very valid questions, which is why I was dead set on seeing this. Besides the fact that I was in love with him in elementary school, I wanted to see what he could bring after becoming a blip on the radar of Hollywood.

But things did not go as planned. I couldn't locate a theater in time that was showing it and it closed. Forever upset I was, until it popped up in my Netflix.

So, without further ado, my review of Bunraku. 

I really enjoyed this movie, and that's saying a lot. I say this only because, as a personal preference, I'm not one for action/fighting movies. Don't know why, they just never quite caught my attention. However, Bunraku integrates a comic book world with the real via a stage, creating a crazy, colorful dream world that only a green screen could truly bring to life. I absolutely loved the idea of, essentially, a living comic book. Mind you, this type of film is much more for fun than to contemplate or reflect on life, but I think everyone needs a good dose sometimes.


I do have a weakness for the 40s and 50s, and although this film clearly doesn't take place during those times, I felt that something of an homage was paid to film noir. To begin, the viewer hears a narrator informing them of what they need to know to fully understand the story line. He is never seen, but he is constantly present and the viewer trusts his every word. Director Guy Moshe wanted a mysterious, dangerous man to characterize as The Drifter, which buys into the noir genre. To do so, he played up the shadows, which became even more emphasized with the wide-brimmed hat The Drifter is almost always wearing. I wouldn't say the neo-noir theme follows completely through the film, but it didn't hurt the cinematography. The dramatic shadow effects didn't overpower because heavy green screen usage throughout made the film, as a whole, visually over-the-top.

I wasn't expecting the music that plays throughout the film, specifically in the fight scenes. All of it is very catchy and plays into each scene very well. Horns and brass play a big role and help contribute to a big-band-circusy feel. The music added so much and I wouldn't have enjoyed the film as much without it.

I've never seen Kill Bill and the closest I've come to Japanese cinema is Gojira and Memoirs of a Geisha. I don't own any westerns and the closest I've come to one is Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. So, you could say I was going into this movie pretty blind of expectations. This movie is a strange, fascinating combo of the two genres that seems like it shouldn't work. But, oddly, it does.

The Drifter, played by Josh Hartnett, and Yoshi, played by Japanese singer-songwriter Gackt, play off each other in a way that was like yin and yang. Rough-and-tumble cowboy meets silent and sleek samurai. The relationship between The Drifter and Yoshi and their fighting skills are the two main reasons to watch. As far as story goes, eh, not the most original piece ever. But the fighting, the way the villains were portrayed and the visuals were extraordinary.

The acting wasn't stellar, but this is not the type of movie known for its riveting and tearjerking performances. This film was much more about the badass fight scenes, the vendettas that the characters had and how they would seek revenge. For example, take The Drifter. His character is quiet, calm, observant and precise. He doesn't have any family to speak of, nothing to tie him down or really evoke much emotion in him. Therefore, Hartnett had the same general tone throughout most of the film: low, conversational and sometimes threatening. The only feelings from him to really speak of were pain and anger. So, was it a mentally taxing role? Maybe not so much. Physically demanding? Most certainly.

So bottom line, this film may not shock you with its story line. However, the hand-to-hand combat will have you wanting more, so long as you can tolerate blood. With this one, check your expectations at the door, go along for the ride and you'll enjoy it.

Out of four, I give it:


Comments