brain food









I haven't blogged for almost four years. Trying to push that fact through my brain is crazy. It's the classic symptom of being a creative - feeling like you're doing something vs. actually doing something. Countless notebooks piling up on end tables with scribbled half-thoughts. Up until today, every time my blog came up in conversation, I'd shy away.




"Oh, it's something I did in college. Poems and movie reviews...not so much now."


Why? No reason whatsoever. A big frustration of mine has been expectations fresh out of college and what happens in real life. Truth is, kids, you might not end up using your degree. And that's fine. But you chose to study for a reason; something intrigued you and made you a better person. So the least you can do, no matter what you're doing to pay the bills, is nurture your brain.

I constantly remind myself that I can barely keep food on the table because I went in a wildly different direction after college. Instead of journalism, I am a working makeup artist. One who, at times, has struggled to find a foothold in where I belong. However, a great friend reminded me that, although I may still be learning in some aspects, I possess knowledge that other artists do not. Play to your strengths, don't hide what separates you from the pack and keep educating yourself. Since I have been painting faces for the better part of two years now, taking a pen to paper has all but vanished. But today, that ends.

If only to dust off my corner of the internet universe, this blog post has a purpose.

Just so we're all on the same page, here are a few notable things I've done in the last four years: moved 400 miles from home, lost and found love and work, depression, a trip to Scotland, attended NYC makeup conventions, worked on set, became a working makeup artist, battled with roommates, moved in with my boyfriend, cut my hair and began working as an assistant to one of the greatest makeup artists in NYC.

Life is real hard, especially given the career I've chosen. Feeling extra self-reflective after taking a trip home and seeing what could have been. I'm not married, I don't have kids, a house or a car. And you know what? That's okay. My name is Lauren Caputi and I'm a makeup artist chasing my dreams. Thanks for reading my cliche rant.

xoxo



Comments