The Old College Try: I Love You Phillip Morris

Well, it's been a while since I've posted something to the good ol' blog. I most recently signed up for Netflix, one of the world's most wonderful creations. Will my social life take a hit? Maybe, but I can't get over the amount of movies they have to offer.

Anywho, I Love You Phillip Morris is a fabulous dramedy from 2009 starring Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor. Two pretty damn big stars, if you ask me. I remember seeing the trailer for this and my eyes were bugging out. I told myself I was destined to see it. But, being holed up in Olean means virtually no independent films. Ironically, they had it at Family Video...with a "Must Be 18 To Rent" sticker slapped right on the front. And that's a perfect segway into my discussion of the movie.

Quick warning: If you are even a touch homophobic, proceed with caution.

With that being said, let's begin.

Man, oh man. That movie was so much more than I was expecting in so many good ways. So, I must say thank you to directors Glenn Ficarra and John Requa. Before watching Ewan and Jim, I immediately reverted back to the last films I had seen from them. Moulin Rouge and The Number 23. Calling those dramatic differences would be a gigantic understatement.

Just to hook you, here's a condensed plot summary of the beginning of the movie. Steven Russell, Jim Carrey's character, was adopted when he was a baby. However, he did whatever he could to not let rejection by his biological mother slow him down. He had a great job as a cop, got married to a beautiful woman and had a little girl, but reality began catching up with him. He realized he was gay and living too many lies to count. As soon as he embraces the gay community, he's thrown in jail.

Now, the first thing I noticed and loved about the film was the narration. I'm a sucker for flashbacks, and this film is primarily told through them as Steven lays, dying, in a hospital bed. His Southern accent in the film is sweet and completely believable. If you think back to The Mask and classic crazy Carrey moments, you'll find that this is a delightful change-up. But don't worry, there's still plenty of laughs to be had.

I Love You Phillip Morris is a true story, so there are serious undertones to it. However, the way dire circumstances and problems were played up with Jim's humor was hysterical. He can diffuse bad situations and make them into comedy. The film had a great balance of drama and comedy.

Within the first half-hour of the movie, there's a gay sex scene with Jim and another man. I have to say I was impressed. One, because of Jim Carrey's body. My God, he looks good. Two, his commitment to the role. Although obviously not engaging in it, there aren't that many actors completely open-minded to the idea of gay sex. I had to give him props.

For most of the film, Steven is a con artist doing whatever he can to make a quick buck. As soon as he is released from jail, he begins another scam. The constant, playful in-and-out relationship between Steven and jail is wonderful to watch. Besides getting to know his character, the film develops its own unique voice through the outbursts of Steven trying to break out of jail time and time again.  

To be honest, I was a little skeptical about Ewan and Jim and how their chemistry would come across on-screen. But, of course, I was proven wrong because they were dynamite. They were utterly and completely believable. Phillip Morris, Ewan McGregor's character, was a gentle and kind-hearted man who didn't belong in prison. Steven wasn't particularly dangerous, at all, but next to Phillip, he looked like a hard ass. They're not the most manly men in the world, nor queens, but it worked. Carrey and McGregor knew exactly what they were doing to get into the heads of Russell and Morris and I loved watching every second of it.







SPOILER

The end of the film caught me off-guard. At first, I couldn't get over the fact that Steven faked having AIDS to see Phillip one more time. Taking a mental step back to put the puzzle pieces of the film together, I really enjoyed the way the story was told. When the viewer is finally caught up and is watching the character's life in present day, there's an "ohh" moment. And there's nothing more wonderful than that.

SPOILER END




I would certainly recommend this movie, as it will soon be an addition to my collection. I'm a romantic at heart and the thought of the law never stopping Steven and Phillip's love really got me.

Out of four, I give it:


Comments